Saturday, December 20, 2008

New Goal

So I have a new goal for myself. If I want to be a writer (which is of course the question, but at least it's something I'm good at), I need to write. Daily. So that is my new goal. It may be here on my blog (presuming it does involve actual thought and/or substance), a newsy email to friends, or in one of my journals--you know, the kind with pen and paper--that I have to jot down ideas that float into my head.

Note-taking for my historical fiction novel doesn't count. If that counted I'd not write any of my own thoughts, and would be only barely researching. The research would be so much nicer if they actually knew anything about my guy's childhood. There's plenty written about the last 2-10 years of his life, but nothing prior to that. And most of the last bit of his life is speculation. Yay, speculation! But then, that's why it's such a delicious choice for a historical fiction. I hope to be fairly heavy on the history (we'll see, and I want it non-dry). The last historical fiction I read was heavy on the sex, violence, and easy-outs on difficult character arcs (as in the author killed off everyone who was in the way of the ending he wanted), and rather light and/or boring on the history. I do not want to be like that. But then, sex sells. So does violence. Violence can be provided in spades for my character though :)

As for why I don't wish to say what I'm writing about, well, I want to cover myself for the future. If you're curious, ask me and I will most likely share. Tisn't a state secret, just don't want it on the 'net.

So yes, digressions aside, I'm making a public contract with myself to write daily. Acceptable approaches for daily writing include writing down first lines for a story (or other parts), or writing an essay or part of an essay. Character studies count. Notes for ideas of a world or plot outline for fiction counts. Short stories count (though perhaps only to a point, as I have a series of those in my head, but I need to get some other stuff written). And though I say blog posts can count, I would like those to be in addition to my daily writing, not a cop-out in lieu of writing. Ditto emails and other correspondence (like that holiday card I need to send to Jay and Abby...)

I both thank and blame David Seal for this.  And really, that may be a story in-and-of itself... Remember ladies and gents, it isn't slander or libel if it's true.  And that goes for both parties.

No comments: