I meant to post this on Thursday, with pictures and pomp, but I got busy. And now I can't provide pictures, because the Identity and Passport Service has my naturalization certificate, along with my US passport and a chunk of my money.
All that to say that I'm a British citizen now. Though I have basically nothing to prove my citizenship of either country (as mentioned, IPS has everything), I am officially a dual citizen. I'm done, finished, complete. My need to fill out extensive forms and "prove" my relationship has been more than sated over these past few years, and I should no longer be required to fill out substantial amounts of paperwork for quite a while (renewing my US passport will require some additional paperwork, but shouldn't be too onerous; basically I just have to tell them that while yes, I am a dual citizen, I plan to continue being a US citizen).
I have also registered to vote. In no small part so as to vote out the sleazebag who presided over the ceremony on Thursday. He's the local Lib-Dem MP (local, not down in Westminster), and I first met him years ago when I was slinging sandwiches. He was a tool then, and was no different on Thursday. At least he didn't remember me.
A few FAQs:
Q: Do you feel any different?
A: Other than being lighter in the wallet, no. Should I?
Q: Did you have to give up your US citizenship?
A: No. I'm a dual citizen. The US doesn't recognize my British citizenship (in theory), but they don't care, as the UK doesn't make you renounce anything. The UK does (in theory) recognize my dual citizenship.
Q: How does having two passports work?
A: Badly, so far as I can tell. When I have both of them and use both of them, I'll let you know the specifics, but in essence, I must use my US passport to enter the US, I believe I'm supposed to travel on only one passport per trip, but I also have to prove my right to abode in the UK, so I'll need that passport to reenter the UK. Like I said, badly. I will choose which passport to travel on depending on the destination, relationships to various countries, etc. Travel in and around the EU will be on my British passport.
Q: How does this affect Adam?
A: It doesn't. I could have divorced him about a year ago and legally stayed in the country, though I may not have been eligible for citizenship at that time. I have no plans to divorce him at all (unless he keeps snoring and being cranky while sick).
Q: If you move to the US, will Adam be a dual citizen?
A: No. The US requires its naturalized citizens renounce any other citizenship(s) they may hold as a part of the naturalization process, and Adam doesn't want to give up his British citizenship. That said, there is a form you can fill out over here to reapply for citizenship after you've renounced it. Presumably for that reason. Still, not going to do it. A green card should suffice.
Q: Do you have a desire to become a citizen of a third country?
A: I have my eye on Icelandic citizenship (seriously), but there's a fair bit involved in that, including learning some Icelandic. Since I'm pretty terrible at languages, that's probably not going to happen. Also, we have no ties to Iceland (at the moment).
No comments:
Post a Comment