So there's a fire basically down the street from us. I went out to gawk because it looked like it could have been a) close enough to make me want to start packing up the important items (which is everything, but you know) or b) it could have been the bakery.
Thankfully, it's neither--so far--but the location is quite interesting. Unless you're local, you probably don't know that Aldi (a third rate "supermarket") is trying to get a site here in Slaithwaite. Unfortunately for them, EVERYONE in the village is opposed to it. And I do mean everyone. I haven't spoken to a single person who wants it or thinks it'll be good for the village (the money it brings in won't stay local, unlike the local shops, which will potentially face closing). Perhaps if it were a Sainsbury's, which actually stocks quality stuff, people wouldn't be so opposed to the notion, but Aldis are not unlike a large Quik-E-Mart in all ways except the slushie machine. Unfortunately, no one in the village knows how Kirklees (our local council) will respond, though we're all hoping that they'll listen to those of us who have to live with it. We have raised some compelling concerns beyond "Aldi sucks."*
Anyway, all that to say that the site Aldi has asked for planning permission is currently burning down. They were going to have to demolish half the stuff on the site anyway, but some of the site has listed buildings and the like, so it was all very confusing.
But now it's burning. And I have to wonder if a) it's arson and b) if it is, was it started by ai) the developer or bi) someone opposed to to the development.
In other news, I like listing lists within lists. List list list.
So yes, very interesting. I don't know if this will help or hurt either side, though I imagine it will at least slow down the planning permission application process. However, if it's approved, it will speed up the building.
The only thing I do know is that neither Adam nor I started the fire. How do I know this? Because it's blazing like a mofo, and neither of us can build fires worth shit.** When I went out to check about 40 minutes ago, it didn't look like the firefighters were even approaching it, and at least one entire building was engulfed. So it's definitely big. I'll go back out in a bit, and I'll post more if I find out more, but at the moment, I'm betting arson. By, who, though, that's the question.
*We've raised that, too, but were told that it wasn't a valid argument.
**This could be a problem should the apocolypse come.
No comments:
Post a Comment