Thursday, October 29, 2015

Pet Peeves

1. I can't talk about work on my blog. Or I won't. There's so much I could say, but I won't jeopardize my job, or my work, because I love both. Hence a lot of the silence around these parts.

2. People who capitalize random words (in English). German? Fine. Nouns are capitalized in German (or so says my friend who is fluent in all aspects of German). Everything I work with is in English, and the people I work with are largely native English speakers (in theory. I doubt the Brits actually know the English language).

3. People who use apostrophes to pluralize words. The plural of word is words. Not word's. I get that "1950s" feels weird and you want to write "1950's." Wrong, but at least I can understand that. I can also understand if you don't get the difference between girl's rights (a singular girl and the rights accorded to her) and girls' rights (the rights accorded to all girls), but the plural of a word NEVER requires an apostrophe unless it's also in possession of something.

4. People who don't use the Oxford comma. It's not necessary, but it is nice. Related, people who stack lists within lists and don't use semicolons for the primary list. I swear I posted this before, but I can't find it (and I really should stop procrastinating).


Can you tell I've been editing a lot lately?

I should get back to work. I'm meeting a friend for cake and coffee around 2pm so I can escape the (not relentless but still irritating) drilling and banging that's coming from our cellar. We're having it tanked, so there are workmen there, not ghosts. At least I'm not aware of any ghosts.

1 comment:

Red said...

I sadly am of the 'just say no to the Oxford comma' party. Sorry.

Claudia