Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New kitchen-related things learned...

Apparently glass isn't impermeable.  I just assumed it was.  The applesauce I made a couple of weeks ago and froze in a jar that once contained something else (why, why would you buy news jars unless you're canning?) tasted vaguely of jalapeños.  I like applesauce, and I like salsa (the previous use of said jar) but together?  Mmm...not so much.

That jar is now in the recycling pile.  Too bad really, but I'm not risking that again.

I suppose all that jalapeñoeyness could have come from the lid, but best to not be taking chances.  I like my applesauce to taste like apples.

Also, and this is not so new a revelation, pork only needs to reach an internal temperature of 137º F and stay there for 11 minutes to kill anything that could be in it.  I cooked my roast today to an internal temp. of 150º (yeah, set the probe, forgot to turn on the alarm--should have gone off at 148º).  Juicy and moist, full of flavour.  De-lish-ous.  Even with the slightly spicy applesauce.  And a 2.5 pound roast took less than 30 minutes/pound.  Lesson here?  DO NOT overcook your pork.  That delicate flavour is smothered when you do that.  Except for bacon.  Crispy bacon is tasty.  Though Adam cries whenever I cook bacon.

No comments: