Tuesday, September 15, 2009

And the crazy begins...

Every once in a while I talk in my sleep. So far as I can tell, this is a very rare occurence. To be fair, I don't know how often I do it, because I'm asleep. So I asked Adam, and he told me that he doesn't notice it, because he's asleep. Fair enough. I'll take that to assume I don't do it very often. I'm wondering if I started up again because of this post by Vancil.

I seem to be in a sleep-talking cycle currently. The other night I guess I muttered some unintelligble things at Adam (waking him up), and then shut up and that was that. Though in hindsight, I might have been actually awake, and thought he was, and that unitelligible muttering was me telling Adam "I love you." Hmm...oh well, doesn't much matter.

Until last night. I actually have vague memories of this event, but I don't know what I was dreaming about at the time. What woke Adam up last night was not my talking, but my pounding on the bed with a rolled-up kitchen towel.* I vaguely remember this because I had to remove it from under my neck and prop myself up to hit the bed. Apparently I also said "It won't copy!" and when Adam--presumably trying to be helpful--asked me what wouldn't copy, I just glared at him. I did, however shut up, lay back down, and went back to sleep.

What really frustrates me is all the weird dreams I had last night. I'm sure I remember this one, but I don't know which dream it would have been part of. The one where I was worried Faith was going to kill another animal (that's a later post, if I remember; if not she killed a possum the other day and brought the corpse into the house). The one where I was trying to fix the grandfather clock (which I broke more, but...)? Where I was supposed to drive my grandparents back up to Scappoose from Eugene? The one where I was at a graduation and the ensuing formal meal? I don't know.

Hopefully all of this will stop soon. Adam already found an article that claims that it's bad for couples to sleep together. Both sleep less because one waking up tends to wake up the other (they had to do a study to find that out?!). My talking--or hammering on the bed--is just more likely to end up with me on the couch and Adam in the bed. Why does he get the bed? Because he paid for it (and damn near everything else we own). Also because he works (which is how he pays for stuff). I suppose I can't fault the logic, but crap as that bed is (he doesn't make much money, mind you) it's better for my back than the couch or the floor.

Maybe I'll buy a gag...

*I really screwed my neck up somehow, and sleeping with a rolled towel under my neck instead of using a pillow (contoured or otherwise) is the only thing that's been making a difference. God knows the massages, ice, and copious application of various drugs hasn't done much.

No comments: