First, to answer Claudia's question, the reason why our trip was so convoluted was because I wanted to fly Air New Zealand (because they're totally awesome, that's why!), and they only fly into Heathrow and LAX. Hence why we had to get to Heathrow, and from LAX. And because we don't have a car (or friends) to get to the train station, we had to take a bus, and because Huddersfield doesn't have direct trains to King's Cross, we had to change at Leeds. And though Heathrow has a tube station (3, actually), it doesn't have a train station (enh, the tube is the same basic thing). On the US side, you can get direct flights between Eugene and LAX, but I hate those airlines, and most flights make you go to Portland or Seattle first anyway, so we took Southwest (who is also totally awesome) to PDX and begged Mom and Dad to pick us up--and stop at a German restaurant that Adam (and I) really love on the way down.
As for the actual travelling, it was fine. Boring and long, but fine. Loads of legroom on the Air New Zealand flight, seats that reclined way back, and better still, we were in the very back row on the side, so only two seats--window and aisle--for us, and no one behind us, which was glorious. The food was better than it was when I flew out, and the wine was, too (free). The only problems we had was a slow check-in process, which wasn't that big of a deal other than people in line were whining about it, and we did leave nearly two hours late. However, we landed only 40 minutes late. The problem after that was basically Adam's and mine, though I won't take full blame. Essentially, we waited in the wrong line for nearly an hour. It turned out that, since we were the last people off the plane, we got into the "continuing on to Auckland" line, and the woman checking our boarding passes apparently didn't notice. The flip side though is that we got to go right to the front of the appropriate Immigration line. And since we were sleeping in LA that night (hotel, NOT airport because I am not crazy, even though Adam is and we once did sleep in Stansted airport), not much was lost other than sleep.
Adam was very well behaved on the flight. I slept through the majority of two of the movies I put on (Salt and The Last Airbender), but we both watched Despicable Me and loved it. Very cute. I felt bad, though, because after he fell asleep, they posted a message that someone had lost a ring in the loos, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't his wedding band. It wasn't, hence why he was mad at me for waking him :(
The trip has been so fast and so short, so I'm hoping we can find a way to make it longer next year. No notion if that will happen, or if we'll meet up with Mom and Dad in Napa (they went at the end of October and loved it). Still, we can hope, right?
Adam's reading over my shoulder, and that's starting to creep me out slightly, so I shall wrap up. And now he's mocking me (and wants me to go up to the top).
No comments:
Post a Comment