So there was another spider inicident the other day. I've encountered several more (both before and after the "towel incident," documented here), but this one was, once again, the size of my head.* Kristan actually asked me--while shrieking with (justified) laughter--if it wasn't actually someone's pet tarantula that escaped and I murdered, but it wasn't. Wolf spider, I"m fairly certain. Adam saw this other one as well, since he was home, so I have proof of not being crazy, or at least of not lying about its size. I grabbed the kettle and turned on the tap to fill it so I could make tea, when suddenly there was a brown fuzzy thing scrabbling at the edge of the sink, trying to get away from the water. I turned off the water--no idea how, probably as a matter of self defence since the spider was now extra determined to escape its prison since it was now flooding--set/dropped the kettle on the counter, and screamed. Actually, I'm fairly certain I screamed first, and continued throughout my other actions. Adam came to my rescue from the bathroom, with a towel wrapped around his waist. He saw the spider, said "oh, I thought it was something important," and went to finish his ablutions. Then he grabbed a glass, a flyer from our ISP, and asked me to open the door so he could release it back into the wild, where it is now probably terrorizing the neighbors. Which is fine, as long it's not terrorizing me.
Otherwise, the parental units have been and gone. They seemed to have a nice time; I hope so, as we had a nice time with them (drinking, eating, playing Settlers). Beyond that, I've applied for a job that I haven't heard back from yet, which blows because it's right around the corner from us. Seriously, it's probably a 35 second walk (or less, but I'm taking into account locking the door and setting the alarm code). I'll have to contact them again shortly and ask what the status is, because I think I'd like this job. At the very least it's an income that doesn't involve me making sandwiches.
I'm also working on editing a paper that some of us from Girl Museum submitted for last summer, and we just heard back about. They accepted it, but with major revisions. Because none of us understood the philosophy involved (it's for a Deleuzian publication), it was a bit sketchy, and our format didn't really work. Since everyone else is employed, and mostly because I didn't say no, the job of editing fell to me. It's hard work, but I'm actually really enjoying it, and I also seem to better understand what Deleuze and Guattari were talking about. I think they were mostly full of crap, but at least I better understand it now. I still have about 3/4 of the paper left (and a whole bunch of citations to find and insert), but the shape seems to be pretty solid now, and the flow will be better, with far less repetition. My goal is to finish the second section today. Since I think I'm only going to be combining the work of two authors there, it--crossed fingers--won't be too horrible. As I learned on Saturday (with one primary author and about 2 paragraphs from my section plus the additions I had to write in), if you were to plot number of authors on one axis and time on the other, you'll get an exponential curve.
Lastly, there are two weddings this week. First is the royal wedding on Friday. And--along with laughing about the spider--Kristan may have mocked me for knowing when the date was, but I challenge you to live in the UK and not know. Or to spend any time on Yahoo's homepage looking at their "news" articles (I read the Yahoo US site, by the way, not the Yahoo UK site, so you can't blame it on that). And then on Saturday my brother in law is getting married, which should be a good time. People keep asking me what I'm wearing, and then announce that I should wear my wedding dress. No, I will not wear my wedding dress to someone else's wedding, that's just tacky, even if my dress didn't look like a wedding dress. In short, I don't know, because I acquired a plague on my left arm from sitting in the sun (can't determine if it's a heat rash or a slight sun allergy, but I also can't be bothered to see a doctor since it's not debilitating, just itchy and ugly). Should be healed by Saturday though, so hopefully that won't affect my wardrobe choice. Still, I can't understand why people care what I'm wearing to a wedding that isn't mine and I'm not a member of the wedding party.
Now that I've procrastinated enough, back to editing, since I also have to make pasta dough, pasta sauce, and brownies. And possibly a potato tart for tomorrow.
*Actually, I think this one was a tiny bit smaller than the first one, but not much. But then, when you find a giant spider in your towel, one that isn't so actively threatening your life won't seem quite as large. Either way, still huge. Adam was impressed by its size as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment