Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bits-O-News

Better than Bit-O-Honey.  Yuck.

First, I'm going to be an aunt.  Since I've never had an aunt, and my only uncle died when I was seven, I have no idea what this entails.  Come March, I guess I'll learn.  What it won't entail is diaper changing or babysitting, at least until such age as the child does not need diapers (and then it may still be debatable).  I say this because they tried to get me to hold another baby (seven weeks) on Sunday, and I ran for the hills.  Adam held him, however.  Twice.  Complained that the child was heavy.  The kid is under 14 pounds and is only seven weeks old.  Clearly Adam is just going to be a joy with a toddler.

Second, I am now published.  No, I have not suddenly finished my novel, sold it, and got it on the shelves--in fact, it's been about two weeks since I've even written because I was prepping for last week's interview most of the past two weeks (writing resumes today)--but the article I wrote with other members of Girl Museum over a year ago is finally online.  I'm thrilled that I'm legitimately published (yes, online journals are in fact legitimate nowadays), but more than a little peeved that it's taken so long for this to come out.  I completed the re-edit of it back in April, and they only gave us a few weeks then, so I want to know why it didn't come out until August.  Oh well.  Still, published is published, so now I have to find room for it on my CV.  If you care (trust me, you don't) the issue of "Rhizomes 22: Becoming-Girl" can be found here.  Our article is entitled BECOMING-GIRL-MUSEUM, and since I don't feel like linking twice, you can read down the table of contents to find it.  A word of warning, however: it's written from a Deleuzian philosophical standpoint.  If you don't understand what that means, don't worry.  We the authors were a bit lost as well (hence part of the need of the massive re-edit I did back in April).

Not really much else.  Mom and Dad are off to Portland (or there already, I think) for a couple of nights, and Barbara is a rockstar and house/dog-sitting.  Aven is apparently excited because that means he can play with Faith.  Faith is learning to warm-up to men faster now (she still takes some time), and Aven is a sweetie and wants to play with her, so I'm hoping he can run a couple of pounds off of her--provided he can get her to chase the ball or frisbee more than twice before she buggers off to go lay down.  If he can, that puts him head-and-shoulders above the rest of us.  If not, I hope he enjoys tromping across the yard to retrieve the ball/frisbee himself (or I suppose he can leave it there for later, which I've been known to do).

Come to think of it, I'm slightly worried as to the state of my bedroom if there are guests there (even old family friends such as Barbara and Aven).  The heavy coating of dust worries me less--since we don't live there keeping it dust free is not my responsibility--than whatever mess may or may not have been left there from last Thanksgiving.  Or whatever mess was placed there by not-me.  Hmm...yes, it's cramped, since there's still half-a-house's worth of furniture in there, but I worry about the clutter.  Enh.  I suppose the sheer amount of hippos will distract, as well as impress, amuse, or terrify, depending on individual temperament.

I shall leave you with this article to peruse, should you so desire.  It so perfectly sums up why I hate Sean Penn.  "Sean Penn Can’t Understand Why Terrence Malick Didn’t Let Him ACT! More"

No comments: