Monday, December 24, 2012

A partial cross-posting

It's been a bit hectic around here. Holidays and such. I really will try to post someting proper shortly, but in the meantime, here's a portion of a blog post I wrote for Girl Museum. I haven't included the whole thing, because I'd really prefer if you read it over at Girl Museum to help our visitor numbers. The first paragraph is below, and the full post can be found here. A warning: though unlikely, this could potentially be a trigger for people bothered by gun violence.

On May 21st, 1998, I was a senior at North Eugene High School in Eugene, Oregon, preparing for graduation. During first period I was watching a movie in French class, having already taken the AP exam. Partway through the period an announcement came over the intercom, saying everyone was to stay in their classrooms until further notice (it wouldn't be until about a year later that the word "lockdown" became commonplace). Not long after, our principal came onto the intercom and announced that we were free to leave, but that there had been a shooting at Thurston High School in Springfield, approximately 20 minutes away.

No comments: