Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stuff and things

I'm still editing the handbook of death. I have to finish it today, so I can get copies made tomorrow, and then copy my edits onto a clean version, and make copies of that. Yes, there is a lot of copying involved in this, but because it's so awful I want to make sure there are copies so passive-aggressive committee member can't pull an "I lost it" routine. I may also write up a quick outline for myself, and then write my own handbook. My guess is that I can whip one up in about 6 hours. According to passive-aggressive committee member, his took a week or so.

I think I'm depressed. I don't emotionally feel depressed, but I'm exhibiting a lot of the physical signs of depression, so I don't know. I'm not hugely worried about it, but it's mildly irritating. Too many naps, no interest in things, no energy. Though that said, I suppose I could have mono. Or just be bored. Oh well. I seem to be sorta snapping out of it. Whatever I was in.

Saturday Adam's godmother and her husband are taking Adam and I and his parents out to supper. I was very sad--they were planning on taking us to what looked like an amazing little bistro style place. Grow most of their own produce, at least semi-organic, seasonal menu. You know, my kind of place (the expensive kind). It looked delicious. Sadly however, the place was booked up (or else they had a change of heart when they heard how much I can eat), so instead we're going to an Italian place. Pam is apparently obsessed with it; she recommends it for any possible reason, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not that fussed about Italian restaurants, unless I'm in Italy. But that's our Saturday. I have to meet new people, which will be mildly awkward, since I also have to be nice and social and can't swear--sheesh, all these limits!--but the ironic part is that effectively, Adam is also meeting new people. Yes, it's his godmother (one of them, I think he has two or three...which makes up for my none), but he doesn't think he's seen her for about ten years...or maybe since he was ten, so fifteen years, perhaps. She's supposed to be very nice, and it is very sweet of them to take us out to supper. Although I do have a vague feeling that I'll be getting the third-degree...

Next Thursday Mom and Dad will arrive in Manchester. They're on their own to get from the airport to the hotel, but it shouldn't be too bad, unless somebody gets a bug up their butt and decides to take a cab into the city (at rush hour, I might add). Since the airport is about 20km outside, that's expensive. And also totally unnecessary, as there is a train station right in the airport. European airports are very nice for things like that. I'll head out and meet them Friday morning, and we'll spend the day getting lost in Manchester. I mean shit, I don't know what there is to do in Manchester besides the IWM North, I just go in for things like shopping and fixing my computer...well, mostly fixing my computer, and shopping while I'm waiting for a bleeding train back. It's a big city, and has a couple of universities (and a couple of football teams, but practically no Americans have heard of Man City...it's always the Man U fans). But most important to Adam and I--besides the big, convenient, and international airport--is the fact that it's home to a few Prêt à Mangers, or what I prefer to think of as the greatest sandwich company in the world. So after I hang with my folks on Friday--or during--I'll hit a Pret up before they close and stock up on tasty sammiches and desserts and crisps. I'll even make sure to get enough to share with Adam :)

The following day is know as the Day of Terror. Mom and Dad are coming out to Linthwaite to see our place, but that's not so scary. Scary is what happens after--Mom and Dad meet Pam and Tony (and Mark, and possibly Mark's woman). Luckily, it will be at a pub, so Adam and I will be drunk. I'm sure it will all be fine, but then, it may all end up in flames. Paranoid? No, why do you ask? It's inevitable, however, since Pam, Tony, and Mark are all staying with Mom and Dad and Adam and I for the week surrounding the wedding. So at some point, Adam and I need to be having the talk with our various relatives about acceptable--but mostly unacceptable--topics of conversation. Racist comments had best be curtailed, or I will go ape-shit, Republican bashing needs to be curtailed (Dad...) because sadly, that gets lumped into racists comments in my mind, and politics needs to be avoided as well. If we avoid politics we can avoid a lot of racism and Republican bashing. I won't take religion off the table unless it looks like it's going to get heated....actually, yeah, that might also lead to Republican bashing). Kristan said to also take sex off the table, but frankly, if it somehow came up, I think I'd like to see the various awkward looks people get. Regardless, I think Adam and I have a pretty good idea of where the conversation is going to go, so while he and I don't really want to hear it all again (about travelling and food and such), at least it should be mostly safe ground, if boring.

Right, enough procrastinating on my end. Back to the editing, kitchen cleaning (let's just say eeek!), and exercising.

No comments: