For the first time ever, I'm writing (part of) an article for hopeful publication. After we submit and find out (I assume that's how this works, never having done it before) I'll post more details, but in the meantime, suffice it to say that I could really use a library. Specifically, a university library. There are libraries around here (despite my questioning the literacy level of much of the local populace), but only one university library, and I rather doubt I have access to it. Most universities here don't let you in the library if you don't have a valid ID card, and so far as I can tell, the only way to get one is to be a student, an alumus who has jumped through a lot of hoops, or faculty. Plus, Huddersfield Uni isn't known for it's arts administration program (doubt it has one. It is, however, a better university than I give it credit for. I guess). So basically, when it comes to my research, I'm SOL. Damn internet has failed me.
The other distinct problem that I've run into is that I am not a philosopher. Deleuzian thought is a big part of our article, but it went sailing somewhere well over my head. Plus, Deleuze is 20th century, so still under copyright and Project Gutenberg doesn't have his stuff yet. I've managed to work around that so far (thank you Google Books), but if that comes to an end, I might be screwed. The worst part is that I think I might grok Deleuze, but I don't actually understand him on an intellectual level. This is of course somewhat problematic when writing an intellectual paper.
I also have been too much into fiction of late. Seriously, why must I cite others to back up my theories? Why are my thoughts not good enough? I'm intelligent, I think things out. Luckily, however Deleuze was a fan (again, grok vs. intellectual understanding) of new thoughts and ideas and such, so maybe I'll be ok with a lighter amount of citation. Even so, I've been into fiction for far too long. That's not to say that I haven't done research, just that I don't need to quote others and back myself up, just know what's going on. Yay fiction!
But on the flip side, if I'm published, yay published!
1 comment:
Or you could give the details of the papers you want to read to a friend who still has access and will forward you the full text PDFs ;)
Post a Comment