Monday, July 25, 2011

Random spewing of crap

I'd apologize for not posting, but between two birthdays, various bits of news from various friends, seeing friends, going out, bottling beer, and just generally staying up too late and thus getting up too late, I didn't care.  Not that I really went to bed particularly early last night--or got up particularly early--but I'm feeling somewhat more proactive today.  I've done two loads of laundry, vacuumed, and sorted out my dresser drawers.  That last one sounds lame, but when we moved in I just dumped all my socks and underwear (and a shirt, apparently--don't know how that got there) into the drawer and so for the last four months have been rooting through its random lack of sorting whenever I needed socks or underwear.

Hmm...that sounds like I don't wear such things very often.  Rest assured, I change my underwear daily, and I don't wear socks all the time.

Since I started on the sock/undies drawer, I decided I might as well tackle the other two as well, since a) they get messy over time (I start off thinking I'll always put stuff where it belongs, but it's not like that ever lasts) and b) because this place holds so much damp in it, all my clothes seem to smell somewhere between slightly musty and downright nasty, so I threw some laundry sheets in the drawers to help combat the funk.  Adam's on his own though, despite the fact that he thinks I should do it for him.  I'm his wife, not his mother.

The other thing I've done so far today was resort our bookshelves.  You might have gathered that I like to read.  A lot.  Adam also likes to read, and is obsessive about owning books.  We both asked for books for our birthdays, and Mom came through like a champ for Adam, getting him 4 books to go along with the 3 I got him (I think).  And he came through for me, getting me 5 books (I think), bringing our total to 12 new books (I think) in 10 days.  That doesn't include the gift certificate from my folks which I blew on 3 more books, and two CDs (I love the My Chemical Romance, but Adam's obsessed so I wanted more variety in our MCR playlist).  Mmm...15 more books (I think...) for us to devour.  We've each finished our first ones, so yay!

But yes, the bookshelf was getting a bit...piley...before we added to the collection, and since the three gift cert'd books arrived today, I broke down and reorganized the books in order to get a few more on the shelves, instead of piled and shoved into whatever space could be found.  Too bad I can't do that for our children's lit shelf!

I have no idea when we'll move back to the states (I'm hoping sooner rather than later, but between my citizenship here, Adam's green card for over there, and the general chance that the US will be rated lower than several third-world nations soon) but in preparation for that eventuality, I've started stockpiling books that won't be re-read in the next year to go in a suitcase for November.  I fear that I may already be close to the 50 pound limit, which since we also need to bring clothes and toiletries and the like, is somewhat problematic (ie we need one suitcase for all that stuff).  Fun times.  Packing is a bitch, and when you have people on both ends of the journey who want stuff, it gets interesting trying to make it all work.  Especially when some of what you need to pack is homebrew.  Speaking of, I should look up the US duty-free limit on beer.  Mmm...more fun: government websites.

No comments: