So I just got another rejection letter today for a job (hey, at least this place sent them out--another place I applied for hasn't bothered). If I could at least score an interview, that'd be a nice change. Anyways, courtesy of some of the previous rejections, I decided to get serious about this writing lark. I've got over 10k words so far (over 11k, actually, but extensive editing hasn't happened), and it actually seems to be flowing decently well. Not amazing, but I've been writing a bare minimum of 500 words a day (Stephen King writes at least 2000 a day, but he's insane), so things have been coming along. Bit nervous, as I'm about to embark on the next bit of plot and action in the next couple of days, but once I get into it, I think that'll go ok as well.
Because I've gotten serious about this whole deal, I've set up an Authonomy account. Basically, Authonomy is a site set up by the publisher Harper-Collins to encourage and support unpublished or self-published authors. Or any writers, really. It's completely free, and great in the sense that other writers and readers can read your work (you must upload at least 10,000 words) and comment on and critique it. Each month, the top five submissions to the site (as scored by a rather complicated system that takes into account not just how many people, but also who likes your work) are actually reviewed by Harper-Collins editors, who may then choose to publish your novel. Additionally, Harper-Collins does not hold any "first-option" rights. The only license you grant them by submitting your novel to the site is for them to display it. They keep no copies of manuscripts from uploads, so if you remove your work (which you can do at any time), it's gone. And lastly, any publisher, should they decide to visit Authonomy, can make you an offer. All in all, it's a great chance, for criticism if nothing else.
If you'd like to support me, head over to Authonomy, create an account, and start a presence there--the more you review and comment, the more your recommendations count (if you're recommending books that lots of others are, get chosen, etc. Read the FAQs, because it's complicated). There are lots of cool things to read by aspiring authors looking for a shot at being published. Even though I've got over the 10k words required to submit right now, it'll be another couple of months before I'm ready to upload anything, between editing and possibly abridging the novel a bit to get more action in without submitting half the book. Still, there are other neat things to read, and it's a chance to help others (and myself) with their work by providing comments and support. And like I said, the more you review and recommend, the more your opinion counts down the road, so if you start now, it could help me out more eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment