Ugh. I think I'm going to curse Jimmy for a while.
Don't get me wrong, I'm actually really happy he thought of me and invited me to Google+. But for years now I've avoided what has been collectively termed TwitMyFace (or Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook for those not so in the know, and if you don't know what each of those sites are respectively, I really can't help you). If you haven't heard of Google+, it's roughly posed to be the next Facebook, and if anything or anyone can take on Facebook, it would be Google.
If you haven't heard of Google+, don't be too shocked. Though it's been talked about by those in the know, and possibly a bit in the news, it's not yet open to the public, and that's how Jimmy (damn him) managed to suck me in. I'm not sure how he did it, but he got into the closed-beta testing. Once you're in, you can in turn invite people (though they may not be able to join right away--I couldn't). So Jimmy invited me, and I joined. And now I check it obsessively.
I'm hoping that Google+, like my blog, will slowly wane in time, and I'll become less obsessed with posting and checking for updates and the like. But we'll see. Maybe once it goes fully open I'll just stop using it, boycotting it like I do the other social networking sites since I think they mostly serve to prevent social activity (why meet someone at a bar/park/whatever when you can see them online?).
No comments:
Post a Comment