"Who always has a room open because she never invites anyone to stay literature" (Google; No success on this one--if you know the literary character, please let me know. I thought it was Miss Havisham, but I don't think it is now. I'm reading Elizabeth Peters novels to find the answer for it, which is nice, but time consuming. It wasn't in Trojan Gold like I thought, so time to try Night Train to Memphis. I know it's in a Vicky Bliss novel, but I think the reference might be to a Dickens or Austen novel.)
"What are skyscrapers built out of" (Google)
"Plexiglass" (Wikipedia) --> "Polycarbonate" (Wikipedia)
"How to dig a hole" (Google)
"Does ash add to soil fertility" (Google)
Yes, this is in fact all research for my short story. If I have to look up more weird crap in the course of writing tonight, I'll let you know.
2 comments:
It's not in Borrower of the Night, which is the only Vicky Bliss I've read (so far, I hasten to add, and it definitely adds something if you visit Rothenburg, which I recommend, not least because their tourist office is staffed by lovely people). I don't recognise the quote either, sadly.
I do love Borrower of the Night (and it's why I want to go to Rothenburg), but it doesn't have John in it, who is hilarious and great and awesome. And a criminal. John is the character who says it, so it ruled out BotN, and Laughter of Dead Kings is out, which is kinda crap--I've only read it once. I have a pretty fabulous memory for things like this (in books) but not usually in books I've only read once.
If it's not in Night Train to Memphis, I'll go back to Street of Five Moons, which is unlikely because Vicky first meets John there.
Also, I'm rapidly running out of writing time, so I may drop this line of thought since it's not important other than it's driving me crazy. Of course if I just knew the original source I wouldn't have to go looking for an obscure reference.
Post a Comment