Friday, May 22, 2009

Queen of the Road

So in my usual reading of Yahoo news crap, I came across an article on best/worst drivers in the US.  This was based on 5000 people across the country taking a written test (which bears no actual resemblance to someone's real ability to drive, but no matter).  I guess a shocking number of people failed the 20 question test.  For shits and giggles, I took the exam as well.  I got 90% and the two questions I missed I thought I might.  One, because I disagree with the answer, and the second because it's a bit of dodgy question.  But fair enough.  I'll include the link to the test at the end of this article (if you take it, you don't have to fill in your email address--I didn't).

The two questions I missed were:

You may pass on the right of another vehicle when:
A. When traveling on a multi-lane highway carrying two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction
B. The other vehicle is making or about to make a left turn, when a lane is provided to pass on the right
C. Both answers are correct


Under most conditions what is a safe following distance?
A. 3 seconds
B. 10 seconds
C. 20 seconds

The correct answers are C and A, respectively.  I think the first question is badly written, though I don't disagree with the answer (I said B, thinking it might be C), and I was taught that a safe following distance is 5 seconds (so I said 10, fully believing that I would miss that question).  And yes, 2 seconds make a huge difference.  Count it out sometime when you're driving 55-75mph down the road and see.

The test can be found here.

No comments: