Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Crapstick

Thank you Matt, for that brilliant word. It sums it all up perfectly for me.

Geoff is still dead. I got the install/software discs from Mom and Dad today, but they can't repair the problem. So...the next step is me off to Manchester, where there is not one, but two Apple Stores. The actual Apple Store, authorized and such by Cupertino (ie where Apple is based). They have a "Genius Desk" where staff can try and solve problems for free, and if they can't, will recommend service as needed. I should still be under warranty, but Cheesus only knows if I'll actually be covered (seems like they don't cover some things that they should). If they can recover my files, yay! If not, I'll be posting here and sending out a lot of email asking for addresses and phone numbers and the like.

And possibly photos--I believe that I will have lost all photos of Kristan's wedding, let alone anything else since mid-March 2007. Though that said, Jeffrey (Geoff's predecessor) will have everything (I hope) through August of 2008. Assuming I uploaded the photos prior to getting Geoff.

I hate this. I have a plan, for when I have lots of money. It involves a laptop and a desktop being synced nightly, and weekly backups to what I would like to be a 500 terrabyte drive. Never let it be said that I don't look to the future of hard-drive glutting programs and operating systems. The only reason I haven't fully backed up Geoff is because it takes SO much time. And because I don't have an external drive that's big enough, or enough space on my iDisk to back up EVERYTHING. Though I should have enough space to get the important bits regularly. I just hate how long it takes. Guess I'll be sucking it up more regularly though.

5 comments:

Vancil said...

Actually, "crapstick" is 100% yours. The term I used was crap-sack. And dang it, I like you're better. Because a crapstick is something you can hit people with, while a crapsack is something you just carry around, and is also full of crap.

Sorry to hear of your computer woes. It's ridiculous how adrift we are when those things go down. My laptop developed keyboard alzheimers. It thinks "t" means "n", and "backspace" means "y", etc. So to make it work, I use a USB keyboard. Which is nice, because I'm no longer developing carpal tunnel.

Stay positive. And get the computer fixed. Because otherwise, I won't be able to read your adventures in jolly old Englang.

Katie said...

See, this is what happens when I lose everything, including Grandmother Clock and my notes on it (speaking of, if I don't get my data back, I'll be begging you to send the script and notes back if you're willing).

I actually like crapsack better; the flatter vowel sounds are harsher to my ear. Either way though, I swear slightly less now.

Yes, I love my external keyboard and mouse. They even work on Adam's XP system, except that the keyboard still types in British because the OS determines what the keys do, not the keyboard. It's a bit disconcerting to hit SHIFT-2 and get quotes instead of the @ symbol.

Hadar said...

Katie, you need Facebook. ;-)
It's easier to steal your friends' photos.

Heather

Katie said...

I hate Facebook. I've not used it, but I've seen it. More importantly, what they do with your private information and uploads really bothers me--you don't have control over your images/information.

Hi said...

Alrighty then.