Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The one damn time...

When I started writing, I rigorously made a point of backing up--on three different stick drives, mind you--my work. Because I knew, just knew, that if I lost everything, I would lose my mind (as you can tell by my continual bitching of lost photos, music, etc.).

So guess what...I've lost about 500-800 words of my second chapter. I left my protagonist stranded in a foreign city, because I couldn't figure out what to do with him there (history tells me nothing, so I'm on my own). I finally had inspiration on that two nights ago (a cop-out, really, but it would get the story moving again, and his location in the foreign city really isn't that important, just a historical necessity), as well as on my other story--which is handwritten, so that's safe (unless there's a fire, etc....knock on wood). As such, I finally sat down and started writing again tonight, determined to bring my protagonist home.

Except that where I left off is not what I have on paper (so to speak). Granted, my second chapter was sucking, but it wasn't my plan to edit it and start a chunk of it over again just now. Yurgh.

Well, I suppose on the bright side, I know what I'm working on tonight and tomorrow. Dammit. Hopefully I'll get enough done in the next 24 hours to get to where I wanted to by the end of tonight's writing session, not tomorrow's.

No comments: