Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Review #6.5: Doomsday

I blame Adam. Entirely. It was awful. He says it wasn't. It was bad, though. Very, very bad.

The special features for Doomsday indicate that it was trying to make a more modern post-apocalyptic film than Mad Max and the like. Except that rather a lot of those have been made lately, and rather better than this one. Off the top of my head, I'd point to 28 Days Later, which may or may not be one of the better ones. I like it though. But I digress.

The worst part about this movie is the two major names in it: Bob Hoskins and Malcolm McDowell. I love Bob Hoskins, and he was great in this, but wow...I hope they got paid well. Less so Malcolm McDowell...he's weird and does weird films so he may have liked the concept.

Actually, I take that all back. The true worst bit about Doomsday isn't the great actors with a horrid, mishmashed plot, it's the horrid mishmashed settings. You go from post-apocalyptic urban to suddenly looking as though the cast and crew stumbled onto the set from "Robin Hood" and decided to film there--complete with the "Robin Hood" costuming--for a bit. Oy.

No comments: