Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Weird Statistics

I've been slowly futzing around with the blog, which you may or may not have noticed (or cared about).  Mostly, I've just been cleaning up old links and adding new ones and the like.  There are some new blogs listed on the right now, and some old one have been removed.  I strongly encourage everyone to visit Hyperbole and a Half.  Hi-larious.  Also, go read XKCD, which is often funny, and always odd (protip: there's mouseover text, so hover your cursor over the comic when you're done reading it for more funny/info).

In all this messing about, I just discovered that Blogger provides stats.  I assume this is a fairly new thing; I mean I don't pay loads of attention, but I've been on Blogger for a over two years now, so I figure I would have noticed it at some point.  Either way, it's very neat to see some of the visitor statistics.  I'm not well loved, but that's cool, because I'm not set up to be crawled by search engines (this is intentional).  What is odd, however, is some of the locations I get visitors from.  The United States, of course, and the UK, since I have friends (and homes) in both locations.  But then it starts to get odd.  In order of most hits (US and UK are the top two), I've also got the Netherlands, Russia, South Korea, Luxembourg, Angola, Switzerland, Moldova, and Mexico.

Here's the thing.  Most of those only have 2 or 3 hits (ever), except for Russia and the Netherlands.  Why?!  Do I have followers or friends (or stalkers) there?  If so, totally awesome, and if you're in one of those places, you should comment so that I can say hello.  And quite frankly, ask why the hell you care about my rather mundane life, or at least my mundane posts.

In other random news, I'm going to start writing again.  With the death of Geoff a few months ago, I put my one novel on hold, and the historical fiction one has been on hold indefinitely (main character is stranded at the moment, as history is a wee bit sketchy on that part of his life).  I was writing the non-historical fiction one by hand, and I'd started transcribing and editing what I had so far when Geoff blew up, and I just haven't gotten back to it when I got Henry (wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam) up and running.  That was at Thanksgiving, which was immediately followed by Christmas and New Years, so it's been crazy around here, as I assume it has been for most people.  Sadly, I'd love to share my new book with everyone--it's truly perfect for blog format--but as it's journal style and about work, that's not so bueno.  It will be heavily fictionalized, but even though I hate my job, it's the only (paying) one I've got, so I'd rather keep it.  I'm trying, however, to find other things to write about to keep the masses entertained.  Adam and I are going to Iceland in about 3 weeks, so that should provide some interesting fodder for at least a couple of posts.  For now, we'll just say that Adam thinks I should have done more research.  He might have been right.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Oooh Iceland. V. v. jealous