Sunday, July 5, 2009

No Sunday Review

I really tried to come up with something to review this week, but all the movies were forgettable, the TV is limited to current, but not new shows (except Dollhouse, but I've not seen enough yet to form an opinion) with the exception of The West Wing, and we don't need to hear a lovefest/orgy on my love for this show, particularly the early seasons (Adam's watching the first season now, and I forgot how many good episodes are in the first season).

Literature-wise, I can't think of anything new I've read this week, except for Terry Goodkind's short story Debt of Bones. I liked it, though in some ways I suppose I found it simplistic. I want to hold off on reviewing it, and more likely, Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" series, until I've read more. I've just started Wizard's First Rule, and it's different from Debt of Bones. The writing is a little less...dashed-off, maybe. Which, in many ways, makes it less approachable (still, so far it seems better than Robert Jordan). I think Goodkind wrote Debt of Bones more for fun and to quickly sketch out some background for his readers, and possibly to turn a quick profit. None of that is bad at all, but I found the plot to be a bit "make everyone happy" at the end, and the writing was simpler. Neither of these is inherently a negative thing (though the forced "happy ending" plot device can bug me--see my comments on Harry Potter 7), but I'm betting it's not representative of Goodkind overall. Hence my not properly reviewing it.

So sorry about that. On my personal writing front, I've started back up (if knocked off for the weekend because we were busy), but I've been working on a thing that I started back in December. I'd written on it sporadically for quite a while, and then a couple of weeks ago picked it up more seriously. I'm a bit stuck at the moment on it, so I suppose it's time for me to go back to my historical fiction. I'm still kind of glad to be getting a forced second chance to write the second chapter, and still pissed that I lost so much of it. I've discovered, however, that I'm much much better at coming up with starts for novels and cliff-hangers to leave them on, but not so good at fleshing out the whole plot. Which is, well, a problem. A large problem for an aspiring writer. If, one must admit, an aspiring writer for lack of other career options at the moment.

No comments: