Thursday, July 16, 2009

Suicide is painless...

And it would bring on many changes, such as my not having to fly with Delta in a week. But I can take or leave it as I please.

Delta makes it look all nice and happy on their website. Too bad I've flown with them before and know what it's REALLY like. I will get a free meal from Manchester to Atlanta (which is good, because I've never boosted an airline galley before, but for the amount of money they charged for my tickets, they'll damn well feed me or I'll steal food). I'm debating if I want to be a pain a register for a special meal. Muslim, in this case. The Hindu option I got on Air Canada a few years ago was tasty (parsnip curry), minus that my snack was a dry nut-butter (cashew?) sandwich. No jelly. It was ok, but the normal meals had really fantastic smelling pasties for snacks. Mmm...oh well. I don't want Kosher, and I figure they're gonna be curious about me regardless, so I might as well ratchet that up with a "terrorist" meal. I assume it will be vegetarian, possibly bland, possibly very spicy, but it will be a pain for them. Which, admittedly, is unfair to the airline crew, who are rarely at fault for all the douchebaggy things that seem to happen with airlines. And I'll probably lose out on the snacks, which are, as everyone knows, the best part of an airline meal (can you say bizarrely textured brownie?).

I also looked at my in-flight entertainment options. I might possibly have internet access on my Atlanta-Portland flight, but that's not worth the $10 it would cost me. All the movies look like they suck. Plus, they claim to have on-demand, so I should have access to ALL the movies, but on the other hand, it lists them by region/date, so I don't know. Again. I have a distinct feeling I'll be doing a lot of reading, and hopefully a fair bit of writing. And a lot of yoga in the galley, which may irritate the flight crew as well. Too bad on that though; they get space to move around.

IF no one else moves their seat/books tickets for the flight, I can get a whole row to myself. I moved my seat today for that possibility. Additionally, there's currently no one in the seat behind me, so I don't have to suffer through some jackass continually kicking my seat. I rather doubt I'll be lucky on either of those two options, though. And that's only for the MAN-ATL leg. ATL-PDX is booked solid. Ugh. Sweaty masses, no food. Good thing I've got aisle seats. When you fly as much as I seem to, the window is only good for leaning against to sleep. Since I rarely sleep on planes (I do if I get 3 seats to myself, though, so here's hoping), someone else gets the window, and I get to get up without acrobatics.

Garh. I have so much I need to do for the few weeks I'm in the states, not enough time to do it in, and I have to suffer through long flights to do it all. I'm trying to limit my time in the states since I can't come back to the UK for as long as I hoped--I'm needed to dog-sit after I undergo the terrifying introduction of Adam's parents and mine. Hell, after 3.5 years, we can't really put it off anymore, since my folks are coming over to see Adam's and my place anyway. They're in the area, so we'll take them all to a pub. Then we'll drop them at a table, and Adam and I will go get quietly drunk in a corner.

No comments: